Buildings & Locations
Recording for the Blind
Address120 Florida Ave. Athens, GA 30602
The Georgia Unit of Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic has been present in Athens since 1953. Upon reading a story in the December 1952 issue of Vogue of a Red Cross volunteer who was reading textbooks for WWII veterans, Elizabeth Powell, then head of the University of Georgia's Independent Study Program, wrote for more information on recording textbooks for the blind. RFB&D Founder Anne T. Macdonald called Powell and scheduled a visit to Athens within the week. Macdonald arrived with a SoundScriber (a dictating machine used by RFB&D's first volunteers to record) and a stack of green records and established the eighth unit of the Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic in the university's library. After several moves across campus, the current facility was built in 1967 after acquiring a grant from the Callaway Foundation. The Georgia Unit serves approximately 3,000 Georgians. Volunteers add an average of 175 texts each year to the CV Starr Learning Through ListeningT Library in Princeton.