Buildings & Locations
Address1234 S. Lumpkin St. Athens, GA 30602-3692
The original owner of the Cobb-Treanor House was a wealthy planter and former legislator, John Addison Cobb. Ownership changed often until 1912, when Alexander Woodson Ashford, a wealthy Watkinsville merchant, acquired the building for use as a private dormitory for his four sons attending the University of Georgia. After Kate McKinley Treanor purchased the place in 1929, it became home to her descendants through the 1980s. In 1990, the University of Georgia rehabilitated the building to house the Institute of Community and Area Development (ICAD).