About 40 new University of Georgia faculty members will get a whirlwind tour of the state next week to better understand the geography, demographics, diversity, economy, history and culture of Georgia.
On Monday, Aug. 10, following remarks from UGA President Jere W. Morehead at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education, the group will travel to Gainesville for its first stop at Jaemor Farms to learn about agribusiness in north Georgia and the growing agritourism industry across the state.
The group will spend five days touring some of the key economic generators in Georgia, including Shaw Industries in Cartersville, the Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins, the CSX Rice Yard in Waycross, Gulfstream Aerospace in Savannah and the Georgia Ports Authority in Garden City.
They also will tour the state Capitol and the Martin Luther King Jr. National Park Service Visitors Center in Atlanta, and the town of Senoia, which is home to Raleigh Studios, where "The Walking Dead" is filmed.
"Every year we do this we help expand the capacity for our faculty to reach out and engage with the state through their research and service," said Jennifer Frum, UGA vice president for public service and outreach. "They go back to campus and think of ways to put their expertise to use to help Georgia's communities grow and prosper."
The New Faculty Tour is coordinated by the Office of the Vice President for Public Service and Outreach and is made possible by major support from the Office of the President and the Office of the Vice President for Public Service and Outreach. It also receives support from the UGA Alumni Association as well as numerous other units and supporters of the university.
The 2015 New Faculty Tour begins Aug. 10 and concludes on Aug. 14. The tour schedule and cities visited are as follows:
Monday, Aug. 10
• Georgia Center, Athens.
• Jaemor Farms, Alto.
• Lake Lanier Islands, Buford.
Tuesday, Aug. 11
• Shaw Industries, Cartersville.
• Georgia state Capitol, Atlanta.
• Martin Luther King Jr. National Park Service Visitors Center, Atlanta.
• University of Georgia Alumni Center, Atlanta.
Wednesday, Aug. 12
• Overview of film industry in Georgia, Senoia.
• Robins Air Force Base, Warner Robins.
Thursday, Aug. 13
• UGA Tifton Campus, Tifton.
• CSX Rail Yard, Waycross.
• Gulfstream Aerospace, Savannah.
• Skidaway Island, UGA Marine Extension Service, Savannah.
Friday, Aug. 14
• Walking tour of historic Savannah.
• Georgia Ports Authority, Garden City Terminal.
• Washington County Archway Partnership and Kaolin Industry, Sandersville.
For more information on the tour, see http://outreach.uga.edu/faculty/new-faculty-tour. Tour participants will use #UGANFT15 on social media.