Uga Georgia Magazine Join the UGA Alumni Association
  Search Sept 1998-
June 2004

June 2008
Vol 87: No. 3
  From the President
  From the Editor
  Cover Story
  Around the Arch
  Alumni News & Events
  Alumni Profiles
  Class Notes
Grad Notes
Class Notes
  Class Notes Extras
  Back Page
  Back Issues
  Contact Us
  Ad Rates
  Change Address
UGA Home
UGA Today
Campus Calendar
Alumni Online
The Georgia Fund
Gift Planning
Georgia Magazine
706-542-8059 (voice)
706-583-0368 (fax)
University of Georgia
286 Oconee St., Ste. 200 North
Athens, GA 30602-1999



Bruce Lee Haines of Athens died on Feb. 16. He was a noted plant ecologist at UGA and dedicated his life to teaching botany. He and his botanist father discovered a bromeliad, which was named Vriesea Hainesiorum in their honor by the Smithsonian Institute. Haines was widely published in scientific journals, where he addressed such issues as sulphur input-output discrepancy, sustainable land use, population growth versus resource limitations, and biodiversity. Warren F. Spencer of Charlottesville, Va., died on March 3. He taught at UGA for 21 years and retired as professor emeritus of history in 1988. He was a recipient of the Sandy Beaver Professor of History Award in 1978, received a UGA Creative Research Award in 1984, and won the Georgia Association of Historians Hugh McCall Award in 1988. Spencer was an active member of the Southern Historical Society and the Athens Torch Club. He was a major in the Air Force Reserves and served in Italy during WWII.

Laurie Upshaw Hale (ABEd ’31) of Social Circle died on Jan. 31. She and her husband operated the Fred C. Hale Grocery in Social Circle for many years. She was a member of the First Baptist Church of Social Circle, the Social Circle Garden Club, the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Daughters of the American Revolution. Rellie Weldon Adams (BSF ’33) of Columbus died on Feb. 13. After attending UGA, he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Calvary. He was with the 9th Armored Division during the Battle of the Bulge and also served at Fort Knox, Ky.; Panama; Armed Forces Staff College; Sandia Base, N.M.; Taiwan; Fort Rucker, Ala.; Okinawa; Thailand; and Fort Sam Houston, Texas, where he retired. Mary Juanita Puckett Harden (BS ’33) of Athens died on Feb. 7. She was a teacher for 29 years, having taught in Irwinton and Fitzgerald before teaching at Athens High School, Bogart Elementary School and Athens Academy. Her hobbies included cooking, gardening, sewing and fishing. Eunice “Peg” Loughridge Fincher (M ’34) of Chatsworth died on Feb. 14. She taught elementary school in Murray County for several years. She was a member of the League of Women Voters, the Chatsworth Eastern Star and the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society, and she was an active member of Chatsworth First United Methodist Church since 1936. Fincher was the first Regent of the Robert Loughridge Chapter NSDAR and past president of the Chatsworth Women’s Club. Faye Turner Mauldin (M ’34) of Carnesville died on March 8. She was a schoolteacher and a volunteer Gray Lady at Cobb Memorial Hospital. She was a member of the Carnesville Woman’s Club, the Carnesville United Methodist Church and the United Methodist Women. Harriet Kehrer Smoot (ABEd ’35) of Decatur died on March 4. She taught French at Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School. She was a member of the Clairmont Presbyterian Church and the Rabun Gap Presbyterian Church. Louise Young Pullium Kelley (BSHE ’36) of Gray died on Feb. 22. She taught for the Jones County board of education. She was an active member of the Delta Kappa Gamma Educational Society and the American Cancer Society, Jones County Unit. Kelley was a member of First Baptist Church of Gray, where she taught the Sara B Sunday School class. Daniel Everett Nathan (BS ’37) of Macon died on Feb. 17. He was a flight surgeon in WWII, serving two years in Italy. He received the Air Medal, the Soldiers Medal, Oak Leaf Cluster, two Air Force Accommodation Medals, and the Presidential Unit Accommodation Ribbon with Oak Leaf Cluster. He established base hospitals as a reservist at Warner Robins Air Force Base. He retired in 1971 with the rank of colonel. He practiced medicine in Fort Valley for 42 years until his retirement in 1989. He delivered more then 4,000 babies, including his daughter. Nathan was co-founder of Peach County Hospital and Fort Valley Health Care Center. He was an active member of the Fort Valley Kiwanis Club for more than 50 years. He was co-founder of the Peach County biracial committee in the early 1960s, director of Sha’arey Israel Synagogue, director of the Federation of Jewish Charities of Middle Georgia, a 32nd degree Mason and a Scottish Rite member. Nathan received the Distinguished Service Award from Fort Valley State University in 1999. Harrison Clarke (M ’39) of Gainesville died on April 17, 2006. He was an investment banker with Interstate Johnson Lane (now Wachovia) and retired as senior vice president after 50 years of service. He served as chairman of the Southern Group of Investment Bankers of America, was president of the Georgia Securities Dealers Association, and served as vice president of the National Association of Securities Dealers. Clarke served as a pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corps during WWII. He was stationed in England in the 96th Heavy Bombardment Group. Julia Anne Gilman Griggs (BFA ’39) of Florence, Ala., died on March 6. She had lived in Florence for the past three years, and previously lived in Montgomery, Ala., for 50 years. She was an artist, painting portraits, landscapes and still life. Griggs was a member of the First United Methodist Church. Royce George Middleton (BSA ’39) of Albany died on Feb. 2. He worked as a soil scientist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture until his retirement. He was a member of the Retired Kiwanis Club, the Albany Exchange Club, and First Baptist Church of Albany, where he served as a deacon and Sunday School superintendent. Middleton served in the U.S. Army during WWII and was awarded the Good Conduct Medal, World War II Victory Medal, American Service Medal and the Asiatic Pacific Service Medal.

Augusta Howard Warren (BSEd ’40) of Americus died on Jan. 25. She was an active member of the Americus Sumter County Historical Society, a patron of the Rylander Theater, active in the Junior League, a member of the Americus Country Club, and a member of the Presbyterian Church. Marian Maxwell Jakes (AB ’41) of Augusta died on Feb. 28. She was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church, the Suzanne Wesley Circle, two-time president of the Cranford Flower Club, and a member of the Augusta Country Club. She worked for many years as a member of the St. Joseph Hospital Auxiliary and the American Cancer Society. Jakes was a charter member and board member of the Hilldale Methodist Church and a charter member of the Junior Woman’s Club, both in Clarksville, Tenn. Charles Edwin Brackett (BSA ’43) of Canton, N.Y., died on March 5, 2006. He served in the U.S. Army from 1942 to 1945 and continued to serve in the Army Reserves until 1968, when he retired as a major. He served for 15 years as manager of Kraft Foods before going to work in the business office at St. Lawrence University. He retired in 1986 as director of budgets and assistant to the vice president for business. Brackett served as clerk of the Canton Central School District from 1970 to 1998. Vendie Hudson “V.H.” Hooks Jr. (M ’43) of Metter died on Feb. 20. He and his wife owned and operated Hooks Mortuary for 46 years. He was a member of the Georgia and National Funeral Directors Associations and represented the funeral profession at the Federal Trade Commission hearing in Washington, D.C. Hooks was the Candler County coroner for 24 years and the state mortician at Reidsville State Prison for 20 years. He served on the State Democratic Executive Committee of Georgia and was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention. He was the first Honorary Life Member of the Metter High School chapter of Future Business Leaders of America. Hooks served in the U.S. Coast Guard and was a veteran of WWII. Richard Patten Watson Jr. (M ’43) of Columbia, S.C., died on Feb. 21. He served as a captain in the U.S. Army during WWII and was stationed in Heidelberg, Germany, for two years. After returning home, he trained in internal medicine at the Veteran’s Hospital in Columbia. In 1952, he went into private practice and retired in 1994. Watson served at the Baptist Hospital as chief of staff and on the board of the South Carolina Medical Examiners. He was a member of the American Medical Association, the South Carolina Medical Association and the Columbia Medical Association. Thomas Faulk Worsham (BBA ’43) of Jeffersonville died on Feb. 11. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII as a rifle platoon sergeant in Company K, 399th Infantry Regiment, 100th Division, 7th Army. He received the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster, and other awards, and also received a field commission as a 2nd lieutenant. He returned home to Georgia after he spent another year in occupied Germany. He was reactivated as an army officer during the Korean Conflict, during which he was an instructor at Fort Benning. Worsham was a letter carrier for 30 years in Twiggs County, and was one of the first television repairmen in the Jeffersonville area. He was a member of the Jeffersonville Baptist Church. Lucy Payne Hilley (M ’45) of Marietta died on March 3. She was an active member of St. Catherine’s Episcopal Church, Daughters of the King, U.D.C. and D.A.R. Marilee Nuckolls Schomburg (AB ’45) of Columbus died on March 9. She was a member of St. Paul United Methodist Church, where she was active in the Miller Wilson Sunday School class, the Altar Guild, the U.M.W., the Chancel choir and Disciple Bible Study. She volunteered for many years and served on the boards of the Wynnton Neighborhood Network, Goodwill Auxiliary, the Medical Center Auxiliary, and Historic Westville. Schomburg was a member of D.A.C., D.A.R., Phalo Study Club, Students Club, The Wynn House, Historic Columbus, Historic Linwood, and Golden Girls. Jessie Vannerson Seckinger (BSHE ’45) of Young Harris died on Feb. 23. She served as a dietician at Candler General Hospital and in Savannah, Valdosta, Warner Robbins, and several nursing homes. She was a leader in Sharp Memorial Church on the Young Harris campus, a member of the Atlanta, Middle Georgia Hemerocallis Society, charter member of the North Georgia Daylily Society, and a daylily active show judge. Jesse Groover Bowles Jr. (LLB ’46) of Cuthbert died on Jan. 28. He established his law practice in Cuthbert in 1946. He was appointed as justice on the Georgia Supreme Court in 1977 and served four years. He rejoined his son in the Bowles and Bowles law firm until his retirement in 2002, after 56 years of practice. He was awarded the Georgia Law School Distinguished Service Scroll in 2000. Bowles was active in Cuthbert First Baptist Church. Winford Jackson Welch (BSA ’46) of Harrisonburg died on March 10. He retired in 1980 from Rockingham Cooperative Farm Bureau. He was a member of the Elks Lodge and the First Presbyterian Church. Welch served in the U.S. Navy during WWII. William Herman Dollar (BSEd ’47) of Columbus died on Feb. 11. He was principal at Columbus High School from 1963 to 1976. He was a member of Morningside Baptist Church, where he was a deacon and a member of the Adult I-B Sunday School class. Dollar was a member of the Kiwanis Club of Columbus and the Muscogee County Retired Educators. He served in the Army Air Corp during WWII. Jo Moore Milam (M ’48) of Decatur died on Feb. 24. Her professional career included several secretarial positions. She also taught Sunday School at Grace Methodist Church. She was the only treasurer of the Greater Atlanta Women’s Bowling Association for 22 years. Milam participated in 44 consecutive National Women’s International Bowling Tournaments. She finished second in last year’s state tournament. Walton Shanklin “Pete” Freeman (ABJ ’48) of Woodville died on Jan. 26. William W. “Dub” Ware (BS ’48, MEd ’53, EdS ’71) of Ringgold died on March 5. He began as a teacher and later principal at Ringgold Junior and High Schools and was elected superintendent of Catoosa County in 1968. In 1974 he became superintendent of Chickamauga Schools, retiring in 1985. He was a member of Ringgold United Methodist Church, Professional Association of Georgia Educators, the Lookout Schoolmasters Club of Chattanooga, past president of Ringgold Civitan Club, past adjutant and commander of American Legion Post No. 40, and emeritus member of Quitman Lodge No. 106 F & AM and Scottish Rite Society. William Mitchell Green (BBA ’49) of Jacksonville, Fla., died on April 22, 2006. Donald Reid Hall (BS ’49, BSPH ’52) of Savannah died on Feb. 27. In 1954, he joined the Upjohn Company as a medical service representative in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He bought a franchise named Homemakers Upjohn in 1971, which later became Upjohn Healthcare Services. In 1981, Hall sold his three offices back to Upjohn and retired. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army. Herbert Joiner Ingram (BSA ’49) of Cordele died on Feb. 15. He was a member and president of the Cordele Kiwanis Club, a member of the Cordele-Crisp Library Board, and a member of the Cordele First Baptist Church, where he served as a deacon and trustee. Ingram helped organize the Farm Credit Retirees Association and served as the first president. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII. Robert Edward Leslie (BBA ’49) of Birmingham, Ala., died on March 2. He retired from Merrill Lynch after 35 years as a stockbroker and later from Paine Webber, where he was a consultant and vice president. Leslie was a member of Shades Valley Presbyterian Church and the Monday Morning Quarterback Club. He was a Navy pilot during WWII. Joseph Walker Meadows Sr. (BSA ’49) of Cochran died on Feb. 17. He was a retired farmer and peach grower. He was an original member of the Bleckley County Hospital Authority, was active in the Georgia Peach Growers Association and Georgia Farm Bureau and was former director of the Production Credit Association. Meadows was a member of the First United Methodist Church. Hiram James “Jay” Mill III (BBA ’49) of Conyers died on Feb. 13. He retired in 1976 after working 28 years for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms as a special agent and area supervisor. He worked as a realtor for Dixon Realty for 10 years. Mills was a member of the Conyers First United Methodist Church Maxwell Sunday School class, the Lions Club, VFW and DAV. He was a Freemason, commander of the Legion of Honor of the Atlanta Yaarab Temple of the Shrine, and a member of the Royal Order of the Jesters. Mills served in the U.S. Army during WWII. Emmit E. Noland Jr. (ABJ ’49) of New York, N.Y., died on Feb. 8. He joined the U.S. Foreign Service in 1951, serving in Jakarta, Indonesia, then went to Rome in 1954, where he was second secretary of the embassy and vice consul. Noland retired in 1985 as an investment counselor for U.S. Trust Company. He was a lifelong member of the Episcopal Church. Noland served in the U.S. Army during WWII in Company E of the 318th Infantry. Calvin Pound Stephenson Sr. (BSA ’49) of Atlanta died on March 2. He founded Stephenson Chemical Co. Inc. in 1956. He was a member of The Old Guard of the Gate City Guard of Atlanta and the Atlanta WWII Roundtable, where he served as commandant for two and a half terms. He was an original trustee of South Fulton Hospital and a member of College Park United Methodist Church, where he was a choir member for 56 years. Stephenson served in the Marine Corps in the South Pacific during WWII with the First Marine Division.

James Edward Drake (BBA ’50) of Milledgeville died on March 6. He was retired as logistics officer from Robins Air Force Base after 34 years of service. He was a member of Wildwood Fellowship Church. Drake served in the U.S. Navy during WWII and the Korean Conflict. Tharra Varner Edwards (M ’50) of Commerce died on March 8. Sue Everett Hightower (AB ’50) of Augusta died on March 10. She was a lifelong member of Trinity on the Hill United Methodist Church, where she was a member of the Damren Sunday School class and the Suzannah Wesley Circle. She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Pine Needle Garden Club. Milton N. “Buddy” Hopkins Jr. (BS ’50, MS ’51) of Osierfield died on March 5. He was an Eagle Scout and very involved in the Boy Scouts of America. He had helped with the migratory bird count on Sapelo Island for 44 years and was a member in the Ornithological Society for more than 70 years. Hopkins was awarded National Tree Farmer of the Year in 1981 and served on the Ben Hill County Forestry Board. He was an original director of the Bank of Fitzgerald and was a member of the board of Colony Bank Corp. Hopkins was a member of Central United Methodist Church. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII. Robert Franklin Ingram III (M ’50) of Atlanta died on Feb. 8. He worked for Horrocks Ibbiston Tackle Co. for 10 years and was national sales manager of Game Winner Sporting Goods for 30 years. He was a lifetime member of Peachtree Rod and Gun Club, Burge Plantation, and a longtime member of the Boat Church of Lake Rabun. Ingram served in the Civil Air Patrol. Jimmy Allen Irwin Jr. (BSEd ’51) of Cedartown died on Feb. 26. He served as principal at Antioch, Aragon and Rockmart High Schools and as superintendent of the Polk County School System. He retired as assistant superintendent of the Floyd County School System. Irwin was a member of the First Baptist Church of Rockmart, former member and president of the Rockmart Kiwanis Club and 50-year member of the Rockmart Lodge No. 97 F and AM. Irwin served in the U.S. Army during WWII. Edward Chan Sieg (BFA ’52, MEd ’67) of Savannah died on March 7. In the 1970s, he worked at Oatland Island Educational Center as a filmmaker. Later in life he was a historian and wrote two books, The Squares: An Introduction to Savannah and Eden on the Marsh, An Illustrated History of Savannah. Sieg served in the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict. Faye Cochran Prosperi (BSEd ’53) of Dublin died on March 5. After college she taught at Brenau College in Gainesville, then moved to Dublin and joined the building supply division of Cochran Brothers Co. Inc. Later she became a physical education teacher at Dublin Middle School. Prosperi was a member of the Dublin Cotillion Club, the Dublin Service League, the Erin Garden Club, and the Ladies Ensemble at First Baptist Church, where she was also a member of the Ellen Knight Sunday School class. James Paul Kinney Jr. (BSCH ’54) of Rome died on March 5. He retired as senior development chemist of materials and process technology of the transformer business department at General Electric Company after 42 years. He had taught evening courses at Barry College. Kinney was a life member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers and the American Chemical Society. He was past president of the Georgia section of the American Chemical Society and the I.E.E.E. Kinney was a charter member and past president of the Floyd County Lions Club and past president of the Rome Interclub Council. Barbara Cole Sanders (BBA ’54) of Cordova, Tenn., died on March 9. She graduated from Druid Hills High School, where she was selected to the all-state basketball team of Georgia. While at UGA, she was a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. Walter Julius Harbort (BSEd ’55) of Little Silver, N.J., died on March 6. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII, and after the war was assigned as the commanding officer, 1st Signal Company, 1st Infantry Division in Germany. After graduating from UGA, he was transferred to Korea to serve as the division signal officer, 24th Infantry Division. In 1965, he returned to airborne duty with the XVIII Airborne Corps. In 1968, he assumed command of the Defense Communications Agency, southeast mainland, in Vietnam and Thailand. He was commanding officer and assistant chief of staff in Seoul, South Korea, in 1970. His awards included the Bronze Star and the Legion of Merit with four oak leaf clusters. Harbort retired with the rank of colonel. Gerald Bruce Muller (BS ’59) of Thomasville died on Feb. 22. He practiced obstetrics and gynecology for 30 years. He was a fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Muller was a captain in the U.S. Air Force Medical Corps. Larry Maurice Murphy (BS ’59) of Waverly, Tenn., died on June 23, 2006. Adella Dallmus Weller (BSEd ’59) of Lakemont died on Feb. 21. She had a career as an elementary school teacher. She had spent many summers camping at Lake Rabun and moved there in 1981 with her husband.

Thomas R. Burnside Jr. (BBA ’60, LLB ’62) of Augusta died on Feb. 12. He founded the law firm of Burnside Wall LLP. He was a member of the Georgia Bar Association, the Augusta Bar Association, the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association Barristers, American Bar Association, the Georgia Bar Foundation, and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. He received the Tradition of Excellence Award from the State Bar of Georgia in 1990 and was listed in the Best Lawyers of America from 1993 until the time of his death. Dexter Russell (BSF ’60) of Bullard, Texas, died on Feb. 26. He retired in 1998 as general manager after more than 35 years with International Paper Company. He was an active member of Emerald Bay Community Church, was a volunteer for CASA, and served on the board of directors for Evergreen Presbyterian Ministries in Bossier City, La. Jerome “Jerry” Berkley Johnson (DVM ’61) of Savannah died on March 5. He was a veterinarian for more than 37 years and owned and operated Johnson’s Animal Hospital. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church. Clyde Jewell Anglin (AB ’62) of Watkinsville died on Feb. 17. He participated in the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s, mentored elementary students, and was active in the Abraham Alliance. He loved singing, woodworking, hunting with his son, and spending time at home with family and friends. Ronald Lee Davis (JD ’63) of Cartersville died on Jan. 8. He was a trial attorney in Cartersville for almost 40 years. He served as judge of the city courts of Cartersville and White. After retirement, Davis continued to be a member of the State Bar of Georgia. He served on the administrative board of Sam Jones United Methodist Church, served a term as president of the Bulldog Club, and was past president of the Cartersville Civitan Club. Lilloise Lunsford Sheffield (BSEd ’63) of Plains died on Feb. 20. She taught school in Plains and Leslie. She was a member of Plains Baptist Church, where she served as a Sunday School teacher. She later became a member of Maranatha Baptist Church. Roy Griffin Thomas Sr. (BSPH ’64) of Statesboro died on Jan. 25. He worked for Wachtel’s Prescription Shop, was owner of Solomon’s Pharmacy in downtown Savannah, and was a staff pharmacist at Memorial Medical Center. He served as president of the Savannah Pharmaceutical Association and was an officer in the Georgia Pharmaceutical Association. Thomas served on the Savannah/Chatham Board of Education in the 1980s, was a member of the Trinity Episcopal Church of Statesboro and was an associate member of the Lutheran Church of the Ascension in Savannah. Eldridge V. Regester (MEd ’67) of Purcellville, Va., died on Dec. 22. Rae White Smith (AB ’67) of Rockmart died on Dec. 3. She taught English at Rockmart High School and was a member of the RHS faculty from 1984 to 2006. She was a member of the Rockmart First Baptist Church. Lola E. Underwood Ziegler (AB ’67) of Orangeburg, S.C., died on Feb. 15. She was a former schoolteacher in Columbia, S.C., and a long-time realtor in Orangeburg. She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Colonial Dames and was active in Saint Andrews United Methodist Church. William Ashley Caudle (DVM ’68) of Charlotte, N.C., died on Feb. 17. He traveled on many mission trips after retiring from veterinary medicine. He was an active member of Carmel Baptist Church and North Carolina Baptist Men. Robert Edward “Bobo” LeFever (BS ’68) of Enigma died on Feb. 19. He was a supervisor at Shaw Industries Plat WK for 26 years, retiring in 2005. He was a volunteer for Literacy Volunteers of America in Tift County. LeFever served in the U.S. Navy Reserves from 1965 to 1966. Patricia Wilson Mannelly (BSEd ’68) of Marietta died on Feb. 15. She became a homemaker after a brief career in elementary education. John Herschel Taylor Jr. (BSPH ’68) of Macon died on March 2. He was owner of Powell’s Pharmacy for 35 years. He was a member and past president of the Middle Georgia Pharmacy Association, Region 6 Georgia State Pharmaceutical Association, and the UGA College of Pharmacy Alumni Association. Taylor was a member of Ingleside Baptist Church, where he taught Sunday School and served on the finance committee. He was also a member of the Macon Rotary Club where he was a Paul Harris Fellow, past member of the Elks Club and a member of Idle Hour Country Club. Robert Owen Sibley (M ’68) of Dallas, Texas, died on Feb. 6. Jacqueline Anita Hanson Wheeler (AB ’68, MEd ’70) of Gainesville died on March 7. She began her teaching career in the Gainesville City School System in 1968. She recently taught English at Lanier Technical College. Wheeler loved English Springer Spaniels and had owned the breed for 34 years. She had been a breeder and exhibitor of springers since 1985. Wheeler was a charter member of the Chattahoochee English Springer Spaniel Club of Greater Atlanta. She was a lifelong member of Loganville Christian Church, where she served as president of Christian Youth Fellowship, choir member, and the church historian. Berry Newton “Tinker” Boatright Jr. (BBA ’69) of Watkinsville died on Feb. 15. He had a career in the hardware and outdoor sporting goods marketing business for many years throughout the Southeast. He was a member of Emmanuel Episcopal Church, where he served on the board of vestry. William Loy “Woody” Woodruff (BBA ’69) of Snellville died on Jan. 31. He worked for Addresso Graph, Multi Graph, and GAF before starting an insurance agency, which he owned for 30 years. He was a member of Mount Carmel Christian Church in Stone Mountain for 38 years, where he served as a deacon, an elder, and a youth leader for many years.

Eugene Plott Brice Jr. (ABJ ’70) of Athens died on Feb. 12. After graduation, he became city editor at The Athens Daily News. He retired from the Athens bureau of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in August 2004. Since retiring, Brice has written two mystery novels. He volunteers with the application committee of The Jeanette Rankin Foundation, which helps women over 35 gain the education to support their families. James Preston Hight Jr. (BSEd ’71) of Greensboro died on Feb. 16. He taught at Newton County High School in Covington, Nathanael Greene Academy in Siloam and Thomas Jefferson Academy in Louisville. Hight served in the Georgia National Guard, was the organist for the First Presbyterian churches in Greensboro and Sparta, and was a member of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer in Greensboro. Frances Fleeth Beard (MEd ’72) of Atlanta died on March 12. She taught for more than 35 years in the Newnan, Coweta County School System and the DeKalb County School System before retiring. She was a member of Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church. Ann Jordan Carson (BFA ’73) of Gainesville died on Feb. 2, 2006. Miles Harry McDonald (ABJ ’73) of Milledgeville died on Jan. 29. He was an assistant professor of anesthesiology at the Medical College of Georgia, an assistant professor of anesthesiology at Mercer University School of Medicine, and a staff anesthesiologist at Medical Center of Central Georgia and Oconee Regional Medical Center. He was licensed to practice medicine in Georgia, Texas, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi and North Carolina. He was a partner in the Nexus Medical Group in Macon. McDonald was a veteran of the U.S. Army and a member of St. Stephens Episcopal Church. Thomas Edward Stone (BBA ’74) of Carrollton died on Feb. 20. He was assistant vice president and a member of the board of directors at Systems & Methods Inc. He was a member of the Carrollton Rotary Club, the Carrollton Sertoma Club, the West Georgia Telecommunication Alliance, and the Carrollton Jaycees, serving as president in 1981. Stone also served as a mentor of the United States Junior Chamber of Commerce and a volunteer for muscular dystrophy and the March of Dimes. He became national president of the United States JCI Senate in 1999 and was a member of the First United Methodist Church. Michael Conrad Fuller (BBA ’75) of Decatur died on Feb. 16. David Howard Ayers (BBA ’76) of Flowery Branch died on Jan. 24. He worked for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and ATSDR for the past 31 years. Michael O’Malley (MPA ’78) of Pawtucket, R.I., died on Feb. 12. He was employed as a capital projects manager for the town of West Hartford and was a parishioner of St. Margaret Mary Church in South Windsor. Karen Harbin Smith (BBA ’79, MBA ’80) of Leesburg died on March 2. She was general manager/partner with her husband at Alarm Services Inc. In 1999, she began going to the Dougherty County Jail and ministering to the female inmates. After her cancer progressed to where she was unable to continue her jail ministry, she held Bible classes in her home.

James “Marty” Ballard (AB ’81) of Watkinsville died on Feb. 21. He was an offensive lineman for UGA’s 1980 national championship football team. He had recently begun working for Power House Custom Homes. Ballard was a member of Grace Baptist Church.

William Marsden Murray (AB ’90) of Morgantown, W.Va., died on March 9. He was the administrator for the Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University Health Sciences Center. John Reed Minty (MFA ’91) of New Era, Mich., died on Feb. 8. He was the owner and artist-in-residence at The Pottery Shop. G. Brian Thompson (AB ’98) of Austell died on Feb. 16. He was a former Cobb County police officer and was training with HomeBanc in mortgage banking at the time of his death. Thompson was a lifelong member of Southwest Christian Church, where he served as a youth intern.

Amy Margaret Fuller (BS ’00) of Atlanta died on March 5. She had worked with the UGA Primate Cognition Lab, Bull River Cruises dolphin tours, the Caretta Research Project for sea turtle conservation, SeaWorld Florida, the Dolphin Research Center, the New York Aquarium, the Bronx Zoo, and Zoo Atlanta, where she was employed as education animal supervisor. Jack Bernard Hayes (MSW ’06) of Snellville died on Jan. 26. He was Southeast bureau chief of Nation’s Restaurant News for 19 years. He won the Georgia Poetry Award in 1991 and also won the national Rainmaker Prize for poetry and a scholarship to the Breadloaf Writers Conference at Middlebury College in Vermont. Hayes helped found the Upper Chattahoochee chapter of Trout Unlimited and hiked the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Virginia.

Compiled by Alyson Waldrop

Top of Page