Lucy Cobb Building
Address201 N. Milledge Ave. Athens, GA 30602
The elegant buildings of the historic Lucy Cobb Institute in Athens, Georgia, serve as the central headquarters of the Carl Vinson Institute of Government.
Opened in 1859, the Lucy Cobb Institute was considered one of the nation's best girls' schools until its closing in 1931.
In 1984, restoration of the buildings began when President Ronald Reagan signed a bill that included an appropriation to support renovation of the Lucy Cobb Institute as the new home of the Carl Vinson Institute of Government. The renovation project was completed in 1991.